Thursday 21 July 2016

Healthy Mac & Cheese

Who doesn't love Mac & Cheese?  For most of my friends it is a staple, a comfort food.  In my house we had it almost weekly.  It really was the dish that initiated my love of pasta (until my brother married a lovely Italian lady, now her pasta dishes, please).

Since I stared my journey, I have limited the amount of pasta my family eats. It used to be once a week (or more) to maybe twice a month.  Pasta was always a quick easy meal that fed my family and provided lunches for at least one more day.  So taking these quick easy meals out of the equation was a blow to our regular routine.

So I have been in search of the perfect, HEALTHY, pasta dish.  This one comes pretty close.

Ingredients
- 1 box (375g) Whole Wheat or Catelli Smart Pasta (my family are not huge ww fans)
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 200 gram bag of low fat, shredded cheese (Sharp is tasty but your preference)
- 3 tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 1 lb ground chicken, cooked
-1 can diced tomatos, no salt, drained

Cook pasta according to directions. 
Drain tomatoes in strainer. When you drain your pasta, pour it into the same strainer your tomoatoes are draining in, the hot water will heat your tomatoes through. Add both back to pot and throw in ground chicken.

Sauce
In a saucepan, ver medium heat, add milk and flour, stiring constantly until it starts to thicken.  Add cheese, stir until melted. Pour into pasta mixture.

Serve with side salad OR, what I like to do is add steamed broccoli and cauliflower to the pot.  This makes a well rounded dish with a serving protein, carb, dairy and veggies. YUMMY



No comments:

Post a Comment